Efficiently Becoming a Literary Translator
Literary Translation is the task of preparing a version of some text from its original language into a new language. A writer uses the skill of reading, writing and editing, the same is the case with the translator. The understanding of the original form of the text is most important in Literary translation tasks as it is the initial step of the procedure than comes the style, tone and other factors. Literary Translators are also sometimes known as the ‘double agents’ because of their functioning on both the author side and the reader in the target language.
A skillful writer can be a very successful literary translator at the same time, creativity is used at its maximum in Literary Translation for example translating a book. When you are translating a book in any language it is like writing it all over again by making it compatible with the language and the culture. In this case, translated content should convey the exact feelings and emotions as described in the original text. This is very challenging for the translator as it requires full dedication and attention. The knowledge in the field of the subject is also very important for the translator.
Diversified Reading Habits
Reading is important for a writer and a translator, but to become more successful you must diversify the topics that you read. Here are some benefits of reading for a translator;
- Reading different books, novels, journals and etc boosts up the knowledge, vocabulary and style of a translator.
- This habit of reading is very helpful in understanding the styles and detailing of the foreign literature.
- It helps in adapting the culture and become a professional translator and writer.
- Reading Diversified content helps in learning Multilingual styles of writings in a variety of subjects.
Developing Writing Skills
In the second stage of becoming a translator or a writer, you have to work on your writing skills and it can be done by putting thoughts on a paper. It can be done by writing blogs weekly or daily, write about a variety of things and post on websites, start with social networking sites. It helps in receiving feedback from various readers, the feedback is always good for improving yourself as a professional. Writing habit helps in a variety of ways as noted below;
- Helps in developing a unique style of writer and translator that not only gives a touch of originality but also creativity in the writing.
- Practicing the writing style helps in achieving professionalism.
Research about the Style
Another advice for Literature Translators is to make an advance research about the Writer/ Author of the book for whose work the translation task has to be performed.
- It helps in understanding the style and to some extent the nature of the writer which helps in interpreting the same in the translated version.
- The period in which the book has been written must also be observed as it helps in understanding the circumstances in which the book has been written.
However, we can conclude the discussion by saying that the Literature Translation requires effort and attention, the art is learned with experience. But this hard work is also very well rewarded.