For global recognition of your business, you will need to translate it to other languages so the audience from all over the world can access it. When talking about website translation, either you can do it yourself or approach a translation agency to do it for you.
Website translation with great accuracy is very important and if you do not consider the quality of the translation you will see that the meaning of your message has lost or information has been changed which results into a purposeless and ineffective website. Such website will not attract your audience or customers to use your services.
When translating a website, some common mistakes need to be aware of, so you can avoid them. Some common of them are:
- Avoid using translation tools and programs, they do the literary translation ( a word for word) but won’t verify if the translated version makes any sense or deliver its purpose.
- Do not translate word for word. Each country has its own culture, so the phrases and the way things are named. For an effective impact on your customers you need tailor the writing specific to your audience. Moreover, word for word translation sometimes leads to grammatical errors in the text, with muddled up sentences because each language structures the sentences in a different way.
- Set your main goal and do not forget. Decide what you want to achieve, if your website is about selling goods, make sure that your audience know about this.
- Do not use a translator who does not have enough understanding of the target language, try using a native speaker, and always check the accuracy and quality of the translation services.
- After translation, check the looks of your website and verify that all the text is there. When translation is done, sentences change in size, and sometimes they do not fit into the available space on the website.
- Proofread the translated website. Ask some other people, especially native speakers to check your website to ensure the accuracy of the translation.
- If you are choosing a translator or translation agency, do not hold back the information about your website. Try to deliver the maximum information to your translator so he can translate the more accurate and specific.
- Do not translate everything. Just translate the text which is important and the things people can understand. This will save a lot of your time, money (hiring a translator or translation agency) and stress (in case of translating yourself).
- Try hiring a translator or translation service. They have qualified and professional translators working for their agency. As they have a number of translators they can deliver the major project in a very short time. Ask for a sample of their work before hiring or agreeing on anything.
- Do not ever think that translating a sentence from one language to another and then back again has no impact on the content and the translation will work perfectly. The back translation should not be considered.
Your website serves as the front face of your business. If you want it to be effective, it needs to be perfect, so spend a little money by hiring a professional translator for your website translation.